Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bonding with your children




I have heard many times from mums with domestic maid’s help that their children are closer to the maid than to them and they don’t feel good about it. Which is also why the children will feel lost or upset when you change maid? How then can we create and improve our bond with our children when the maid is spending more time with our children than us, working parents?

I, personally, prefer to take care of my girl than to care of her to a maid which is why I don’t hire one. As for those working parents who require maid’s help, you can still create and improve the bond with your child by taking care of their daily needs personally. Just few days back, I have just learned from a child psychologist that we can create the opportunity to bond with our child. For instance, in feeding your young child, you can ask your maid to prepare the meals but you feed your child personally. As for bathing, you can also ask your maid to help get ready all the necessary items but you bathe your child personally. Likewise, you can also ask your maid to help get your child ready for school but you send your child to childcare centre or see him off to school personally. Like accompanying him downstairs to wait for the school bus together and seeing him off personally. When your child sees that you are the one helping him, he will feel that you are more important than your maid and you mean more to him.

Hope that the above sharing is helpful to all mums who have maid’s or grandparents’ help in taking care of their children. Happy parenting and bonding with your children!

3 comments:

Aquablue said...

Hi,

It's enlightening to read your article about this bonding thing, cos I'm one of the guilty mothers..ouch.Most of the time I left the bathing, feeding, those minor things to the maid as I'm too tired always after work.On hindsight, what you said is so true, that those moments can be bonding time for me & my boy..I thought only play time is my really special & alone time with him, & story-telling time.

Thanks for the reminder --))

Aquablue said...

(b)

growingup said...

Hi Sue, I can understand your tiredness after a hard day work. Maybe you can help him during the weekends or on your off days. Very soon, your boy will be in P1 and he will no longer need your help to feed or bathe him. However, not to worry. There are still other ways to bond and create those special moments with him.